Want to impress friends? Try this amazing recipe for Kung Pao Not-Chicken Chicken! And JOIN ME as I will be making this recipe live for a FREE demo on September 28th at Veggie Fest Presents. There will be lots of free samples and prizes. I hope to see you there.
When you tell people you are making Kung Pao Non-Chicken Chicken usually their jaws drop. What? Like it’s hard? This is so yummy and easy to make in just minutes. Just mix all the ingredients together and let simmer! Great for feeding families or lots of people at a dinner party. There’s just not much to this recipe, but it is sure to impress. Let them think you spent all day in the kitchen…instead get in a power-nap before the party!
Make brown rice in a rice cooker, substituting mushroom broth for water.
Marinate Upton’s Naturals’ Seitan: In a medium bowl, stir together the soy sauce, rice wine, and cornstarch until the cornstarch is dissolved. Add Upton’s Naturals Seitan cut into 1-inch cubes and stir gently to coat. Let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes.
– 1 tablespoon soy sauce
– 2 teaspoons Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
– 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
In a separate bowl, prepare this sauce: combine the black vinegar, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, sesame oil, cornstarch, and Sichuan pepper. Stir until cornstarch are dissolved and set aside.
– 1 tablespoon Chinese black vinegar, or substitute good-quality balsamic vinegar
– 1 tablspoon soy sauce
– 1 tablespoon teaspoon hoisin sauce
– 1 teaspoon sesame oil (if you are cutting back on oil, you can skip this)
– 1 teaspoon cornstarch
– 1/4 teaspoon ground Sichuan pepper
Heat oil in wok. Add the chiles and stir-fry for about 30 seconds. Add marinated seitan and stir for 2-3 minutes. Then stir in scallions, garlic, ginger, and sesame seeds for 1 minute. Then stir in the sauce for 1 minute.
– 1 tablespoon peanut or sesame oil (if you are cutting back on oil use mushroom broth instead)
– 8 to 10 dried red chiles (or per taste), broken apart and crumbled
– 5 scallions, white and green parts separated, thinly sliced longways
– 1/2 large red pepper, sliced long-ways, thinly
– 3 garlic cloves, minced
– 1 teaspoon minced or grated fresh ginger
– Sesame seeds
Take off heat. Add salted peanuts. Serve. Add extra scallions as a garnish and serve over brown rice.
This video was originally recorded on Jane Velez Mitchell’s FB Page, #JaneUnchained! SUBSCRIBE to Awesome Vegans with Elysabeth Alfano on iTunes and on my Youtube Channel, Elysabeth Alfano. And be sure to subscribe to my monthly newsletter to never miss a Facebook Live interview session or live cooking demos.